Low Impact Paintball: Advantages and Clothing Guidelines
If you’ve never heard of paintball and are looking for a fun activity for either yourself or your family, you’re in for a treat. Paintball is a fast-moving, competitive sport in which players fire paintballs from paintball markers (guns) to eliminate opponents. By using compressed air or expanding gas, a paintball gun is able to propel paintballs through the barrel of the paintball gun.
However, this game can be intimidating for younger children or for new players who are afraid of getting hit by paintballs. But thanks to low impact paintball, even younger kids can play without worrying about getting hurt. Here’s why low impact paintball is so popular, as well as what to consider, regarding what to wear and bring to a paintball park.
Benefits of Low Impact Paintball
- Involves lightweight equipment—One of the main advantages of low impact paintball is that it uses lightweight materials. Because the paintballs are smaller than those used in regular paintball, they have up to 75 percent less impact than standard paintballs do, meaning they don’t sting as much.
- Open to younger children—While a child has to be at least 10 years old to play regular paintball, low impact paintball can be played by players as young as 6 years old.
- Gives players more confidence—Using lighter and smaller paintballs and playing equipment gives players more assurance in their playing skills as they don’t have to worry about getting injured. Besides kids, lower impact paintball is also more inviting to moms, dads, siblings and other family members as they can participate in party fun.
- Provides entertainment—Paintball is ideal for everything from children’s birthday parties and youth group activities to corporate events. What’s more, low impact paintball is even popular at bachelor and bachelorette parties.
- Resists stains—As the paint is biodegradable and non-toxic, parents don’t have to worry about their kids staining their clothes.
What to Wear
- Shirts and pants—It’s best to have as little skin exposure as possible. Thus, you don’t want to dress your child in lightly-colored, short-sleeved T-shirts and shorts. Instead, choose clothing such as dark-colored sweatshirts, long-sleeved T-shirts and long pants. Select loose over tight clothing as this makes it less likely for a player being eliminated, besides stings less.
- Gloves—Consider that your child’s hands receive more exposure than other parts of the body, so be sure to have your child wear gloves when they play impact paintball. Gloves that are the most commonly worn include everything from gardening gloves to golf gloves. There are even gloves made specifically for paintball. Just don’t choose bulky winter gloves because they are too thick and hard to remove. Even worse, thicker gloves can cause sensitivity.
- Shoes—Wearing the right shoes is especially critical as ankle injuries can occur from paintball. Therefore, avoid sandals or any type of open-toed footwear. Many players choose soccer or football cleats or even hiking boots. Just be sure you have your child wear shoes that are safe, as well as shoes that you’re not afraid to get wet or dirty.
Other Considerations and Warnings
- Even though there’s much less impact involved, younger players typically have a lower tolerance to pain. That’s why it’s a good idea to dress your younger children in several layers to make it’s easy for them to remove some clothing if they’re overly dressed.
- Bring plenty of drinking water.
- Use old towels or rags for cleaning equipment.
- Don’t forget to bring closed toed shoes as sandals are never allowed.
- Pack a change-of-clothing for your child to wear home after the game.
If you live in San Diego or you’re visiting the area, stop by our San Diego Paintball Park. As an indoor paintball park, we offer low impact paintball, paintball games, archery tag, nerf games, and other exciting activities for kids of all ages. Please contact us so that we can make your child’s party a childhood memory they won’t forget.